Fw: Pterosaur diversity (was: Re: Waimanu)

Forwarded on request.

----- Original Message -----
From: Andreas Johansson
To: david.marjanovic@gmx.at
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2006 1:39 PM
Subject: Re: Pterosaur diversity (was: Re: Waimanu)

FWIW, my dictionary gives the Greek as _synopsis_, and seems to imply that the second part means "sight" rather than "face".

Apparently, there is two different (but presumably related) words here; _ops_, gen. _opos_ meaning "face" or "eye", and _opsis_, gen. _opsios_, with a variety of meanings like _appearance, aspect, face, sight, seeing_.

This would seem to indicate that the stem of _ops_ *is* _op-_, but I'm no graecist.

(Source: The lexica at http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/ )

--
Andreas Johansson