Re: Mid-Cretaceous glaciers?

When it comes to the possibility of Cretaceous glaciation (which I see as
being a strong possibility by the way), see:

Stoll and Schrag 1996, Evidence for Glacial Control of Rapid Sea Level
Changes in the Early Cretaceous, Science 21, pp. 1771 -  1774. (Points to an
Antartic ice sheet)

Miller et. al 2003, Late Cretaceous chronology of large, rapid sea-level
changes: Glacioeustasy during the greenhouse world.  Geology 31, pp. 585â588.

(Points to polar ice sheets)

N. F. Alley and L. A. Frakes, 2003, First known Cretaceous glaciation:
Livingston Tillite Member of the Cadnaowie Formation, South Australia,
Australia
Journal of Earth Sciences, Volume 50, Number 2, pages 139 - 144 (Points to an
Antartic ice sheet)

Stoll and Schrag, 2000, High-resolution stable isotope records from the Upper
Cretaceous rocks of Italy and Spain: Glacial episodes in a greenhouse
planet?, GSA Bulletin, Volume 112, Issue 2, pp. 308-319 (Points to polar ice
sheets)

I'll also chime in here with my two cents and say that it's probably a good
bet that the Brooks Mountain Range (began to form in the Jurassic) found above
the Arctic Circle in Alaska had snow/ice topped peaks during the Cretaceous.

Additionally, if anyone cares, I know that Ice-raft deposits have been
considered for the Early and Late Jurassic (Frakes et al. 1992, Climate Modes
of the
Phanerozoic, Cambridge Univ. Press), and I know there have been definitive
glacial marine sediments from the Middle Jurassic (Parrish 1993, Jurassic
climate and oceanography of the circum-Pacific region. In Westermann, G.E.G.
(ed):
The Jurassic of the Circum-Pacific: Oxford univ. Press.).

Kris
http://hometown.aol.com/saurierlagen/Paleo-Photography.html