Re: FW: Smallest Triceratops skull described in March JVP!

-- Nick Pharris <npharris@umich.edu> wrote:

> Quoting Ralph Miller <ralph.miller@alumni.usc.edu>:
>
> > I haven't seen the article yet, but,
> > having seen Goodwin present a cast of the skull
> (which is on display in the
> > traveling exhibition, Dinosaurs: Ancient Fossils,
> New Discoveries"), I can
> > vouch that young "trikes" were "cute."
>
> Quite so.  Check out:

http://www.livescience.com/animalworld/060306_triceratops.html

I'd always thought that the horns of _Triceratops_
played a more active role than in other ceratopians.

To me it always seemed strange that it would evolve
this incredibly heavy skull with no fenestration on
the frill, if all it was doing was showing it off.

It should be interesting to read the ontogenetic
reasons for why sex was probably not the key player in
this.

Jason