From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu] On Behalf
Of dannj@alphalink.com.au
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2006 5:25 PM
To: DML
Subject: RE: More on the baby Triceratops

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 09:30:26 -0700, Ken.Carpenter wrote
> No parental attention required. If we look at dinosaur trackways, the
> smallest footprints are HALF adult size, implying segregation of
> adults and juveniles.

Or some sort of marsuplal-like pouch. :)

Seriously though - aren't most prints actually underprints? If so, the
juvies may not have been heavy enough to make prints of sufficient depth
to be preserved.

Alternatively, the sort of muddy areas where prints would be best
preserved may have been avoided by the juveniles (with perhaps a small
number of adults as chaperones). They may have gone around those areas,
while adults and sub- adults plowed straight through.

A third option: if juvies were kept in the middle of the travelling
group, their tiny prints might have been obliterated by larger animals
walking behind them.

Dann Pigdon