RE: Integument. . . extant vx extinct

Michael Skrepnick wrote-

Have a look at this bizarre little beauty. . .

http://www.cbc.ca/story/science/national/2006/03/08/crustacean-fur060308.html

Seeing is of course believing and in the case of fossil specimens at least half way to believing ( depending upon the source of academic interpretation ). The point. . . if a creature like this were unknown to science ( as this one was until just recently ), but instead an ancient counterpart were discovered in a fine grain sediment in which detail was nicely preserved, how difficult would it be for the scientific community to accept such an anomaly with unexpected hirsute covering? Some might interpret or discount the evidence within the slab as an occurance of dendrites, collagen, etc. . . but who would willingly accept or expect a creature of the deep to be shrouded as is the "Yeti crab". Do discoveries like these make it easier when considering ( cladistics aside for the moment ) phenomena like proto-feathers on dinosaurs?

In all fairness, hair seems to be widespread among crustaceans. Just from my dining experiences, I can recall the tail fins of lobsters are lined with hair, and I think king crabs have tufts on their claws. So this new galatheoid is more like a mammoth being found when only modern elephants were known, as opposed to finding fully feathered dinosaurs when all you know are ones with crocodilian-like integument.

Mickey Mortimer