Short Papers from 2005

Available free on-line at http://www.sociedadgeologica.es/publicaciones/geogaceta/2005_38.html

Cobos, A., Mampel, L., Royo-Torres, R., Espílez, E., and Alcalá, L. 2005. Nuevos yacimientos de icnitas de dinosaurio en Formiche Alto (Teruel). Geogaceta 38:19-22.

ABSTRACT: Three new dinosaur tracksites found in Formiche Alto (Teruel) are described in this paper: El Molino, Camino de Cabra y Barranco de los Arcos. These sites are near Jurassic-Cretaceous boundary in age (Villar del Arzobispo Formation, ranging from Tithonian to Berriasian). The outcrops show higher number of manus prints than pes. The footprints are attributed both to small and large sauropod dinosaurs but there are some tridactyl tracks too. The presence of sauropod footprints from the Villar del Arzobispo Formation is also common in other sites recorded in the province of Teruel.

Royo-Torres, R., and Cobos, A. 2005. Presencia en Riodeva (Teruel) de la mayor vértebra caudal (Dinosauria, Sauropoda) de Europa. Geogaceta 38:23-26.

ABSTRACT: A big caudal vertebra from the Villar del Arzobispo Formation (Tithonian-Berriasian), found in Riodeva (Teruel, Spain), is described in this work. Its main characters are a transverse process deep, extending from the centrum to the neural arch, centra procoelus without condyle, centre with absence of spongy bone texture and lack of pleurocoels. The principal character is the cranio-caudal compression. This vertebra is similar to an isolated vertebra reported in the Cognac region (France) and to the vertebrae of both Cetiosauriscus greppini and Cetiosauriscus stewarti. The four aforementioned taxa would constitute a new clade included in Omeisauridae + (Jobaria + Neosauropoda).

Luque, L., Cobos, A., Royo-Torres, R., Espílez, E., and Alcalá, L. 2005. Caracterización de los depósitos sedimentarios con dinosaurios de Riodeva (Teruel). Geogaceta 38:27-30.

ABSTRACT: Recent discoveries of dinosaur fossils in Riodeva led us to carry out a systematic study of the geology of the area. The calcareous-siliciclastic facies rich in fossil bones are attributed to the Villar del Arzobispo Formation (Tithonian-Berriasian). These transitional facies have been divided into three different units; A) Marine-influenced siliceous-calcareous deposits, spanning 50 m., conformable over the underlying calcareous Jurassic marine unit, B) A 170 m detritical alluvial unit, including more than 35 recorded dinosaur sites (Royo-Torres y Cobos, 2004), and C) A 15-0 m detritical-calcareous unit unconformable below the erosive overlying formation (Arenas y Arcillas del Collado Formation). We also suggest a chronological explanation for taxonomical divergences between dinosaur sites previously attributed to Arenas y Arcillas del Collado formation.

Infante, P., Canudo, J.I., and Ruiz-Omeñaca, J.I. 2005. Primera evidencia de dinosaurios terópodos en la Formación Mirambel (Barremiense Inferior, Cretácico Inferior) en Castellote, Teruel. Geogaceta 38:31-34.

ABSTRACT: We describe here two new dinosaur theropod teeth from the Mirambel Formation (Lower Barremian, Lower Cretaceous) found in Ladruñán (Castellote, Teruel, NE Spain). One of them is included in Baryonychinae, a subfamily well known in other sites of the Iberian Range. The other one belongs to a non-carcharodontosaurid Allosauroidea. This last group of mid and big sized theropods is described for the first time in the Iberian Barremian, and it represents a new evidence of the similarity between the dinosaur faunas from the English Wealden (Isle of Wight) and the «Weald» (Lower Cretaceous) of the Iberian Range.

Pereda Suberbiola, X., Galton, P.M., Ruiz-Omeñaca, J.I., and Canudo, J.I. 2005. Dermal spines of stegosaurian dinosaurs from the Lower Cretaceous (Hauterivian-Barremian) of Galve (Teruel, Aragón, Spain). Geogaceta 38:35-38.

ABSTRACT: Se describen restos de dinosaurios estegosaurios en el Cretácico Inferior (facies «Weald») de la región de Galve (Teruel). El material consiste en dos espinas dérmicas aisladas: una espina pequeña y delgada procedente de la localidad de La Canaleta (Formación El Castellar, Hauteriviense terminal) y la base de una robusta espina caudal del yacimiento de Barranco Espina (Formación Camarillas, Barremiense inferior). Los fósiles descubiertos en Galve se asignan a Stegosauria indet. y son los primeros elementos dermatoesqueléticos de estegosaurios (y de tireóforos) descritos en Aragón. Además, las espinas de Galve son unos de los escasos restos de estegosaurios descubiertos en el Cretácico Inferior de Europa y del mundo.

Canudo, J.I., Aurell, M., Barco, J.L., Cuenca-Bescós, G., and Ruiz-Omeñaca, J.I. 2005. Los dinosaurios de la Formación Villar del Arzobispo (Titónico Medio-Berriasiense Inferior) en Galve (Teruel). Geogaceta 38:39-42.

ABSTRACT: The association of dinosaurs of the Villar del Arzobispo Formation in Galve (Teruel, Aragon, Spain) represents a «jurassic association» by the abundance of primitive clades like basal neosauropods and the scarcity of ornithopods. This fact could indicate the persistence of the Jurassic dinosaur faunas in this part of Laurasia, at least up to the Berriasian. Anyway the absence of stegosaurians could be interpreted as the first evidence of the turnover that would come in the Cretaceous faunas. Our data indicate that the climatic change did not suddenly affected to the dinosaurs of the Tethyan province. On the contrary, the turnover to the modern faunas took place gradually at least during the Berriasian.

Ruiz-Omeñaca, J.I., and Canudo, J.I. 2005. "Pleurocoelus" valdensis Lydekker, 1889 (Saurischia, Sauropoda) en el Cretácico Inferior (Barremiense) de la Península Ibérica. Geogaceta 38:43-46.

ABSTRACT: One fragmentary sauropod isolated tooth from the Upper Barremian-Lower Aptian (Artoles Formation) of Vallipón (Castellote, Teruel province, Spain) is described. It has a «parallel-sided» crown and a «compressed cone-chisellike » general form. This tooth resembles the teeth from the Lower Barremian of Boca do Chapin (Estremadura province, Portugal) and Galve (Teruel province) described as Pleurocoelus valdensis/Astrodon valdensis and cf. Astrodon sp., respectively. The Portuguese and Spanish teeth are compared with the teeth of Pleurocoelus valdensis from England, and Astrodon johnstoni and Pleurocoelus nanus from Maryland (USA), and they show similarities with the English species. Due to P. valdensis and P. nanus could not be congeneric, «Pleurocoelus» valdensis is put with quotation marks. «P.» valdensis is based on several isolated teeth from the Berriasian-Valanginian of Sussex and the Barremian of the Isle of Wight, but no holotype was designated, and all those teeth could represent two or more different sauropods species. The specific name is reserved to compressed cone-chisel-like teeth with enamel ornamented with irregular longitudinal ridges, probably pertaining to brachiosaurid sauropods.

Cruzado-Caballero, P., Canudo, J.I., and Ruiz-Omeñaca, J.I. 2005. Nuevas evidencias de la presencia de hadrosaurios lambeosaurinos (Dinosauria) en el Maastrichtiense Superior de la Península Ibérica (Arén, Huesca). Geogaceta 38:47-50.

ABSTRACT: We describe here in a complete right ilium from Arén (Huesca, Spain). It comes from the Blasi 3 locality, situated in the bottom of the Conques Formation (Tremp Group), in the Tremp Basin (South Central Pyrenees). Blasi 3 is located in a level of grey massive sandy limestone, of Late Maastrichtian in age. The ilium has been regarded as an indeterminate lambeosaurine hadrosaur on the basis, among other characters, of its massive supracetabular process and its strongly curved preacetabular process. Besides the possible lambeosaurine Pararhabdodon from Lleida province, also found in the South Central Pyrenees, the Blasi 3 ilium represents a new good evidence of a lambeosaurine dinosaur presence in Europe the end the Cretaceous.

Murelaga, X., and Canudo, J.I. 2005. Descripción de los restos de quelonios del Maastrichtiense Superior de Aren y Serraduy (Huesca). Geogaceta 38:51-54.

ABSTRACT: Chelonian plates from the uppermost Maastrichtian of the Huesca Province are described. The remains have been found in the transitional and fluvial Tremp Group. The bothremydid turtle plates are well preserved and represent the most abundant elements. Only one eroded plate fragment of the solemydid turtle has been discovered. This difference is possibly due to tafonomic factors, but does not discard that the solmydids ones were more scarce because it was a group in decrease at end of Cretaceous.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jerry D. Harris
Director of Paleontology
Dixie State College
Science Building
225 South 700 East
St. George, UT  84770   USA
Phone: (435) 652-7758
Fax: (435) 656-4022
E-mail: jharris@dixie.edu
and     dinogami@gmail.com
http://cactus.dixie.edu/jharris/

"Actually, it's a bacteria-run planet, but
mammals are better at public relations."
-- Dave Unwin