RE: When carnivores kill other carnivores... addendum

I wrote:

I follow Rauhut in recognizing that _Altispinax_ is the valid name for the tall-spined Wealden theropod from England. Rauhut's rationale is that Huene explicitly proposed the name _Altispinax_ for the distinctive vertebrae, not for the indeterminate tooth that was originally named _Megalosaurus dunkeri_.

Thus, the correct name of this theropod would be _Altispinax altispinax_ (with _Acrocanthosaurus altispinax_ and _Becklespinax altispinax_ as objective junior synonyms), according to Rauhut. The tooth would remain _Megalosaurus dunkeri_, and is a nomen dubium.

While on the subject of nomenclature...

Inferior Oolite-
Magnosaurus
"Walkersaurus"

The latter is still _"Megalosaurus" hesperis_ to me - and it will remain so until somebody gets around to formally re-naming this species ("Walkersaurus" doesn't count). I do hate these nomina nuda.... Grrrr.

;-)

Cheers

Tim