Hatcher and poker playing

Does anyone know of a reliable reference for John Bell Hatcher's poker
playing abilities, or is this just one of those "legends of paleo"? Dodson,
in "The Horned Dinosaurs," states that Hatcher kept one of the Patagonia
expeditions going with poker winnings. I've seen this mentioned off-hand in
a few other popular or semi-popular references, too. Is there a basis for
this story, beyond oral tradition? In a quick jog through Hatcher's
Patagonia journals, I didn't find any mention of this (but given the fact
that it was published by Princeton, I can understand that he had to "clean
it up" a little). Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Andy