Re: free paleo PDFs (re: )

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, Phil Bigelow wrote:
On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 08:25:15 -0700 Ken.Carpenter@dmns.org writes:
The following link has access to various journals and their PDFs.
Note
that access to some is free, (J. of Paleontology; Paleobiology) but
pay
for others.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/tn_ref

JP appears to only go back to Sept., 1997 (If I'm interpreting their web
page correctly).  Hopefully they will add earlier dates.

(BTW, I don't know how articles that were published in pre-PDF days are
put into PDF format.  Is it easier to just scan the original article, or
is it better to first format it in Word and then convert it?)

I've seen a number of things that are scanned as images (gif or jpg). Quicker and easier I suppose, especially if all you have is the paper version, which is especially the case for much older documents. Character
recognition software may or may not come with a scanner, so I suppose
economy may also be a factor. Bit of a pain because you can't search or
cut and paste...