From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu] On Behalf
Of Robert Simon
Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 12:55 PM
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Concretions and dinosaur bones

Have there been any papers published on concretions forming around
dinosaur bones? Having prepared many dinosaur bones from the Morrison
formation of Wyoming, I have noticed patterns. A number of bones are
totally encased in hard siliceous and lime concretions. Often, the
spinal cavites of vertebrae are filled with exceptionally hard matrix,
much harder than the matrix surrounding the overall bones. There must be
chemical reactions occurring during the fossilization process that is
creating these matrix changes. Also, many bones are separated from the
encapsulating matrix by rinds of crystalline gypsum. Larger bones have
thicker gypsum rinds.

Bob Simon