Re: Juravenator

Interesting how Gohlich & Chiappe recovered a monophyletic clade, which
includes Carnosauria (inc
Allosauroidea) + Tyrannosauroidea in their supplementary information cladogram.
And in the Nature paper, they published a tree with Allosauroidea +
Tyrannosauroidea + remaining
coelurosaurs in a trichotomy. Both cladograms are labled Strict consensus trees.

So I pose this: Are we seeing the (slow) return of tyrannosaurs to
Carnosauria???

(The supplementary data tree with Allosauroidea+Tyrannosauroidea was their
initial analysis (107
trees of 534 steps) and had limited resolution at the base of the tree. Here
Juravenator's
position is unresolved around a host of incompletely known forms at the base of
Maniraptora. The
authors published account has a cladogram based on (8 trees of length 497),
with some of the less
complete taxa omitted. This resolves a monophyletic Compsognathidae but also
chucks Allosauroidea,
Tyrannosauroidea and remaining coelurosaurs into a trichotomy)