Re: Dinosaur urine?

At 12:19 AM 16/03/2006, Roberto Takata wrote:
Would a dinosaur produce a watery urine or a pasty one?

This isn't just a JP question. in "Walking with Dinosaurs" the digitizers showed a Postosuchus voiding great quantities of liquid urine to mark its territory (as though it were a rhinoceros or something). I guess my eyebrows weren't the only ones to go up at this, as one of the extras in the "Walking with Monsters" DVD shows a news clipping reporting criticism on this very point. As mammalian kidneys are quite unlike those of any other living vertebrate, and can concentrate liquid urine, I would expect that dinosaurs and their kin voided uric acid, as living birds do.

Ronald Orenstein
1825 Shady Creek Court
Mississauga, ON L5L 3W2
Canada