Fwd: Re: Did the K-T impact event seed Titan with life?

Actually most major impacts will yield ejecta that escape from Earth. However to get blasted into an orbit going out as far as Jupiter or Saturn takes a very large impact (such as Chicxulub). Most ejecta from Earth that land on some other body will hit either the Moon, Mars or Venus. Volcanic eruptions (even Kimberlites) are quite out of the question.

As a matter of fact our best chance of ever finding terran rocks from the time before the Late Heavy Bombardment (ca 3900 MA BP) may well be to search on the Moon. Vast quantities of terran rocks must have landed there during the LHB.

It should be noted that as yet we have only found Lunar and Martian meteorites here on Earth. There is a fair probability of finding Mercurian meteorites, but very little chance for any other major body.

Tommy Tyrberg