Re: Fwd: Re: Did the K-T impact event seed Titan with life?

> >It should be noted that as yet we have only found Lunar and Martian
>
> >meteorites here on Earth.
>
> One such Martian meteorite (named ALH84001), found in Antarctica,
> has been
> reported to show evidence of past life on Mars, in the form of tiny
>
> 'magnetofossils' embedded in the meteorite.  These 'magnetofossils'
> are
> magnetite crystals of a shape and size that are allegedly consistent
> with a
> biological origin (biogenic).

The closest known Earth analog to the possible Martian meteorite bacteria
is a critter known as bacterial strain MV-1.  Magnetite produced by MV-1
resembles magnetite in *some* of those "fossil" blobs found in the Allan
Hills Martian meteorite (both in size and shape).

BTW:  If there are any that doubt that some microbes cannot survive in a
space environment for long periods of time:

The Long Duration Exposure Facility (LDEF), a NASA research satellite
launched in the 1980s, showed that bacterial spores remain viable in
space for at *least* 6 years (after 6 years, the satellite was
retrieved).  The spores were generally uneffected by vacuum, heat, cold,
X-rays, gamma rays, solar wind, and cosmic rays.  The only thing that
negatively affected the spores was ultraviolet radiation.  But any spores
trapped deep within fissures in an Earth rock would be protected from UV.

<pb>