mass extinctions in the cretaceous and later

A widely circulating news article about a UN report of the Convention on Biological Diversity stated that humans have caused the biggest extinction since the demise of the dinosaurs.

They claim that 844 plants and animals are known to have gone extinct in the last 500 years. I thought that there are several million different species out there in our Biosphere currently so the 844 number seems tiny to me. I was under the impression that at the end of the Cretaceous that 75 percent of all species (land and water) were wiped out. Additionally, haven't several very significant extinctions occurred later at the end of the eocene and the Pleistocene that were much more significant than the 1 percent "we" have killed off.

This news cyclel sounds like more of the psychology described in "State of Fear" (Michael Chichons latest).

I know that I personally have killed a significant percentage of the mosquitos/ticks/mice/yellow jackets/black widows/rattlesnakes that I run into. Durn humans give the rest of the biome no respect I guess. Harvester ants are being pressured locally too as they collect fossils and if I see a Harvester Ant hill, it is immediately attacked.

I would ask the DML just to set the record straight, what were the "major extinctions in the last 65 million years and what proportions of the biota died off during each event?

The link to the Reuters article is: http://today.reuters.com/news/ NewsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=uri: 2006-03-20T175004Z_01_L20719283_RTRUKOC_0_US-ENVIRONMENT- DIVERSITY.xml&pageNumber=0&summit=

Frank (Rooster) Bliss
MS Biostratigraphy
Weston, Wyoming
www.cattleranch.org