Re: mass extinction

There was a major extinction of megafauna at the end of the Pleistocene on all major landmasses except Africa that was almost certainly caused by humans and affected a few hundred hundred species of mostly large mammals and smaller numbers of birds and reptiles.

Also there was a *very* large extinction in the Pacific when it was colonized by the Polynesians. The size is uncertain since most islands haven't been studied yet, but it certainly affected many more species than 800. From the number of extinct species found on the islands that have been investigated David Steadman estimates >2000 species *of birds alone*, i e 20% of the extant bird species
of the World.

Another major extinction occurred on Madagascar 500-2,000 years ago. Total number of affected species is not known, since there has been very limited research as yet.

In short major extinctions have occurred essentially everywhere where humans have settled, but particularly on islands. However it is not considered polite to mention extinctions that occurred before the Europeans arrived, hence that 500-year limit.

Tommy Tyrberg