From: Andrew Simpson <deathspresso@yahoo.com>
To: Danvarner@aol.com, dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Neck Defense
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 16:09:12 -0800 (PST)

The  more and more I look at this animal and other
sauropods like it the more I'm convinced they were
neck swingers. Violent neck swingers. besides size and
maybe biting, it's their only defense.

My only resistance to the concept is that I tend to
think of the neck, even a powerful neck, as a
vulnerable. The Giraffe of course uses the neck for
rutting battles but don't know of it using it for
defense. I suppose it's too high up and they have a
good kick.

Any thoughts?

Andrew S.

http://www.nature.com/news/2006/060320/full/060320-2.html