Re: mass extinction

If the Cretaceous die off lost 75 percent, how big a percentage were the later Cenozoic extinctions. I read somewhere off in the past fog that some of them were pretty significant but I can't pull out the reference from anywhere so dark. Obviously, climate change by any cause along with the corresponding ecosystem impact causes well niched forms to keel over. Nothing man has done could even come close to the climatic change induced by a Cretaceous impactor, a huge flood basalt or an ice age. For that fact, your basic Yellowstone eruption would have some significant say on what lives and what doesn't. That has happened 3 times in the last 2 million years. Extinctions seem to be the course of things no matter what the cause.

BTW Phil, the RNC didn't give Crichton his facts but the other way around. W actually asked him to the white house to talk about the book. You should read it.

Frank (Rooster) Bliss
MS Biostratigraphy
Weston, Wyoming