Re: mass extinction

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 10:27:21 -0500 (EST) tholtz@geol.umd.edu writes:

> And we are in the midst of (potentially) a massive marine extinction
> due
> to recent (last 50 years) changes in marine harvesting techniques
> (including benthic trawlers) and phenomenal mismanagement of
> fisheries.

Nothing beats an anecdote to emphasize the point.

As recently as 20 years ago, the Skippers seafood restaurant chain used
codfish in their fish and chips.  They have since switched over to using
pollock, because the decreasing number of codfish has jacked up its price
to the point where Skippers can no longer remain competitive.  A company
rep. told me that codfish numbers are plummeting world wide due to over
fishing.  Pollock numbers will be next to fall.  The next time you go to
the supermarket, compare the price of the two fishes.  The vastly lower
price of pollock is illusory, because a flooded marketplace only
temporarily lowers its price.  Once the world's pollock fishery crashes,
its price will rise to codfish's current level.

We are currently doing to our oceans what our ancestors did to the
American bison.

<pb>