RE: Erketu ellisoni online free access

Ah, not quite. Appendix 2 gives the coding for Erketu from the published matrix
of Wilson 2002. Of 234 characters only 18! can be coded for Erketu. That is
7.7% of possible characters! How can anyone tell me that we can assume to know
so much from so little???? Keep in mind that a phylogenetic analysis is simply
a form of statistics. Even Wiens' article notes a decrease in reliability of
phylogenetic results when 75% or more of the data is unknown (his Fig 2). Here
92% is unknown!!!!

Kenneth Carpenter, Ph.D.
Chief Preparator
Department of Earth Sciences