RE: Erketu ellisoni online free access

Ken Carpenter wrote-

I was referring to Weims 2006. In this paper, he offers more
hypothetical results rather than real evidence of having tested his
statements. No data matrices are presented, nor resultant analyses (he
does refer to a paper "in press"). He writes (p40): "I tested the
effects of adding 50 incomplete characters to a set of 50 characters in
the 16-taxon case using parsimony...adding the set of incomplete
characters generally INCREASES phylogenetic accuracy relative to
excluding them." Hell, in that case, let's just cut 50% from all the
characters of Wilson 2002 and call the results more accurate than Wilson
2002.

Er, you misunderstand. Wiens meant if you have a 16 taxon, 50 character matrix with no missing data, adding another 50 characters with missing data generally increases the accuracy of the results (as long as the missing data is 75% or less). Adding another 50 characters with no missing data would result in even more accuracy, of course (Wiens, 1998). "Adding the set of incomplete characters generally increases phylogenetic accuracy relative to excluding them", not relative to leaving those characters complete.

Mickey Mortimer