From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu] On Behalf
Of Allan Edels
Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2006 11:00 AM
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: RE: Thagomizer

The first usage of the term (outside of Gary Larson), as far as I know,
was in a talk by Bob Bakker, in 1998*, while describing a hole in an
allosaur bone, that he said just fit the spike of a stegosaur.  He
concluded that the allosaur had been hit by a Thagomizer.  Got quite a
few laughs from the mostly professional/semi-professional
paleontological crowd.  (Obviously fans of Larson).

Allan Edels

* => That's when I heard him speak at the DinoFest Symposium 1998
(Philadelphia, PA, USA).  IIRC, he may have given the same speech (or
similar) in the months prior to that event.
[...]