Re: Marsupials see colors

> On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 11:26:23 -0500, Michael Habib wrote:
> >
> > Anyone else have thoughts on items that show up well in UV?
> >

>From "Pollinator attraction: Crab-spiders manipulate flower signals"
(Nature 421, 334 (23 January 2003)):

"Here we show that the coloration of an Australian species of
crab-spider, Thomisus spectabilis, which is cryptic on the white daisy
Chrysanthemum frutescens to the human eye, is highly conspicuous to
ultraviolet-sensitive insect prey ... the contrast of the spider
against the petals makes the flowers more attractive. The spider is
apparently exploiting the bee's pre-existing preference for flowers
with colour patterning."

So, an animal that can see in the UV spectrum could be better equipped
to distinguish camouflaged predators (or prey) from their
surroundings.  Sadly, I do not know if this applies to the fat-tailed
dunnart.

-Heather Yager