Re: MSNBC.com Article: Crows share tricks of the trade

That is a well-known and well-documented behavior used by several corvids (and some other birds too) to get at hard-shelled food. I remember a case where so many crows started using a concrete airfield for shelling walnuts that it caused safety concerns (FOD = Foreign Object Damage).
Personally I think that the common Raven Corvus corax is probably the smartest corvid.

Tommy Tyrberg