[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Subject Index][Author Index]

RE: What's the word for this specialty in paleontology?

David Marjanovic wrote:

"No, because nobody has an opportunity to specialize that narrowly. You don't
get narrower than "vertebrate paleontologist", at least at a university or

My boyfriend (Darren Tanke of the Royal Tyrrell Museum) begs to differ. Paleopathologists study injury and disease in dinosaurs. Paleoichnologists study ancient footprints. Dr. Francois Therrien of the Tyrrell has "paleoecologist" on his door. I'm sure there are more, but it's early and the brain isn't working properly yet.

As for a paleo who studies extinctions only - haven't heard a term for that one. Sorry.

Have fun!

Patty Ralrick
Interdisciplinary Graduate Program
University of Calgary
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Get today's hot entertainment gossip http://movies.msn.com/movies/hotgossip?icid=T002MSN03A07001