Re: when is a Lazarus Taxon not a Lazarus Taxon?

> Is an Elvis taxon a taxon that is really extinct, but thought by some
> to be still alive (like the Loch Ness plesiosaur)?

An Elvis taxon is when a new species assumes the same form as a previously
existing, but extinct, species. I.e., it is an impersonator of an extinct
form.

There is also the Zombie Effect (when a fossil is reworked and redeposited
in younger sediment).

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
        Mailing Address:
                Building 237, Room 1117