Re: Prehistoric Park

Personally, If I was attempting to breed Triceratops,
I'd take more than just one male. I'd have thought
that some females would have been useful, but Nigel
Marvin seems to disagree...

--- Eric Martichuski <herewiss13@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I've been enjoying the new paleontological series on
> Animal Planet with
> Nigel Marvin at his most suicidal.  Tonight he went
> hunting for Microraptor
> gui, ran into some Incisivosaurus and managed to
> capture an entire herd of
> Titanosaurs, much to the consternation of zookeeper
> Bob (whose enthusiasm
> and befuddlement is a joy to watch).  This is all
> very well.  But one of his
> cameramen also got mobbed by a pack of Mei long who
> were after his beef
> jerky.
>
> This is a man who ventures into unknown ecosystems
> with a CO2 meter (for
> volcanic fumes), but no firearms.  By rights he
> should have been eaten half
> a dozen times by now, by things ranging from T-rex
> to short-faced cave
> bears...all of which he's managed to outrun on foot.
>  It's worse than all
> those wildlife celebrities who pick up venomous
> snakes...seriously!
>
> The outrageous cheating-of-death aside, the conceit
> of the show: capturing
> extinct animals for breeding programs as we do with
> extant ones works quite
> well.  The "time portal" is never explained, just
> assumed (two probes, stuck
> in the ground and activated, form a "time field"
> between them), and a
> portion of each show is devoted to the care and
> observation of animals
> captured in previous episodes, so there is both a
> "wild" and a "zoo"
> story-line.
>
> _However_, entertaining as it is as fiction; I find
> that the existence of
> time-travel is just too huge to be treated in such a
> haphazard manner.
> They're just wandering randomly through time
> snagging 1-2 species per jaunt.
>
> As professionals: how would you organize a
> comprehensive research program if
> you had the earth's entire history to range through?
>  Let's say the
> time-machine can pinpoint things with 10,000 year
> accuracy (which should
> avoid paradoxes with most all of recorded human
> history).  Do you make
> sweeps from 4 billion years ago and move forward?
> Move back from the
> present?  How much geographic sampling would you
> need?  Is there some rough
> sweep you could do before starting in on all the
> fine details?
>
> Obviously, there are points in time which particular
> individuals would be
> most curious about.  Extinction events, the
> emergence of "firsts" (first
> land animals, first angiosperms, origins of flight,
> etc.), and other
> specific mysteries.  But those are all tiny compared
> to the vast scope of
> data available for investigation.  How would you
> even _start_ to organize a
> comprehensive plan?
>
> Eric

> [...]

Find out about the dinosaurs of the Isle of Wight at
   DinoWight- the Dinosaurs of the Isle of Wight
             http://www.dinowight.co.uk

         Or Join the DinoWight ONLINE group
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DinoWightONLINE/