[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Subject Index][Author Index]

RE: What's the word for this specialty in paleontology?

Quoting John Scanlon <riversleigh@outbackatisa.com.au>:

Because the idea of 'extinction' in anything like the modern sense is
relatively young (Cuvier?) there is probably not a snappy, authentically
classical Greek word to use. But why not Modern?  Going to
http://www.translatum.gr/ (only the first free online translation site I
found) and typing in 'extinction' gets a word I transliterate as 'exaleipse'
(extinction of a race = exaleipse phyles), so what you're looking for would
be exaleipsology.

Well, actually, this does come from a Classical Greek source, *eksaleiphein* 'to plaster over, wipe out, obliterate'. *Eksaleipsis* would then be 'the act of wiping out, obliteration', which would indeed yield "exaleipsology" (or "exalipsology", since Greek ei is commonly rendered with a long i in Latin). The study of ancient extinctions would be "pal(a)e(o)exal(e)ipsology", which would be quite a mouthful, no matter which of the vowels you chose to include.

Nick Pharris
Department of Linguistics
University of Michigan

"Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    --Edwin H. Land