RE: Horns and Beaks: New taxa and descriptions

Now that I've had time to skim this volume (great stuff!), just a few taxonomic tidbits...

Andy Farke wrote:

Brill, K., and K. Carpenter. 2006. A description of a new ornithopod from the Lytle Member of the Purgatoire Formation (Lower Cretaceous) and a reassessment of the skull of Camptosaurus; pp. 49-
67 in K. Carpenter (ed.), Horns and Beaks: Ceratopsian and Ornithopod Dinosaurs. Indiana University Press, Bloomington.

Describes Theiophytalia kerri, erected for the partial skull YPM 1887, which is the specimen used by Marsh to restore the skull of Camptosaurus.

The name _Theiphytalia_ translates as "Garden of the Gods", a reference to the site.

_I. lakotaensis_ is suggested to represent a new genus, but this job falls to another paper. The skull appears intermediate between _Theiophytalia_ and _"I". atherfieldensis_.

Galton, P. M. 2006. Teeth of ornithischian dinosaurs (mostly Ornithopoda) from the Morrison Formation (Upper Jurassic) of the western United States; pp. 17-47 in K. Carpenter (ed.), Horns and Beaks: Ceratopsian and Ornithopod Dinosaurs. Indiana University Press, Bloomington.

Reviews and illustrates pretty much all that which is said in the title. A new genus, Othnielosaurus, is erected for the former Laosaurus consors.

Galton regards _Othnielia rex_ as a nomen dubium, which is probably why he hit upon the name _Othnielosaurus_ for a referred specimen (type of _L. consors_). The holotype of _O. rex_ (formerly _Nanosaurus rex_) is said to be indeterminate.

By contrast, _Nanosaurus agilis_ resurfaces as a provisionally valid species. Maybe I'm reading too much into Galton's description, but he may be implying that _Nanosaurus_ is a heterodontosaurid.

_Gongbusaurus shiyii_ is re-interpreted as an ankylosaurian, not a 'fabrosaurid'. The "Fruita _Echinodon_" is probably a heterodontosaurid, and is awaiting a description as a new genus.

Paul, G. S. 2006. Turning the old into the new: a separate genus for the gracile iguanodont from the Wealden of England; pp. 69-77 in K. Carpenter (ed.), Horns and Beaks: Ceratopsian and Ornithopod Dinosaurs. Indiana University Press, Bloomington.

Iguanodon atherfieldensis is renamed Mantellisaurus atherfieldensis.

_I. atherfieldensis_ is described as more gracile and more hadrosaur-like than _I. bernissartensis_. Both are qualitative assessments, rather than a product of morphometric or phylogenetic analyses. Not that there's anything wrong with that, especially since certain previous cladistic analyses have found no support for a _bernissartensis_+_atherfieldensis_ clade. But I wonder if other paleontologists are 'sold' on the arguments put forward to erect a new genus.

No mention at all of _Vectisaurus_ and _Heterosaurus_. I see trouble ahead on that one....

BTW, in a previous message I referred to _Iguanodon orientalis_ as _Iguanodon "mongoliensis"_. My bad. In any case, Paul finds _orientalis_ too poorly known to establish its generic assignment.

Cheers

Tim

Get FREE company branded e-mail accounts and business Web site from Microsoft Office Live http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/mcrssaub0050001411mrt/direct/01/