Re: pronunciation question

Mike Keesey wrote:

In that particular instance, I guessed that Mike Taylor wouldn't
pronounce that "r" because he is a Londoner, and the London variations
of English (as well as British "received pronunciation") are
nonrhotic.

Australians tend to drop the 'r', and are notoriously non-rhotic - such that "boxers" sounds the same as "boxes". For Aussies living in the U.S., this distinctive non-rhotic-ness is the hardest thing to preserve when surrounded by hard-core rhoticists, as most Americans are. I speak from experience - literally. :-(

As to the pronunciation of dinosaur names, there is no hard-and-fast rule on this - unless the author(s) specifically prescribe(s) a pronunciation for the new dinosaur name. Alas, this doesn't happen too often, so we're left to wonder how the original author(s) intended their names to be pronounced. Usually, for names that incorporate a word from the local geography or culture the default is usually to pronounce in accordance with the local language. For _Jaxartosaurus_, this is tricky because "Jaxartes" is actually an ancient Greek name adapted from contemporary Persian, referring to the modern Syrdarya river; and it was named by a Russian (Anatoly Riabinin) for a discovery made in Kazakhstan (then the Kazakh SSR).

So I have no idea how one *should* pronounce '_Jaxartosaurus_'. I drop the first 'r', but that's just me - and probably not how Riabinin, the ancient Greeks, or the average American would say it.

Cheers

Tim

Use your PC to make calls at very low rates https://voiceoam.pcs.v2s.live.com/partnerredirect.aspx