Precision

Firstly, I'd like to thank all those who helped me out with my questions on Bruhathkayosaurus, especially Mike and Mickey.

Secondly, yes, this article is concerning sizes too (this is actually the thing I find most intersesting about dinosaurs). I'm working on a book on the largest sauropods, and I'm going REALLY crazy when it comes to sizes.

I'm not only talking about the ones where evidence is sparse. Take Brachiosaurus. We have a complete skeleton, and as Mike noted in one of his replies, estimates range from 15-180 tonnes. That's a difference of more than 1000%. Seriously, considering B. brancia is probably the best represented sauropod, that's more than ridicoulous (no offense).

That's why everything I've read in books, articles, and on various websites, has really got to me. For example, Gillete's book cited Seismosaurus at a minimum of 120-150 feet long, and 100 tons. Other books put it at over 170 feet and 150 tons. A couple of the newer articles cite it at 110 feet and 25 tons. See what I mean? How is it possible for all those writers and scientests to make such precise estimates when evidence is so minimal. A very good book called 'Supergiants: The Largest Dinosaurs', give estimates from the scientests themselves, which I've discovered are more or less unreliable themselves.

If you want a real idea of what I mean, I'lle give you a few more examples about how the sizes range from various sources:

1. Argentinosaurus: 72-150 feet, 73-110 tons
2. Paralititan: 65-130 feet, 60-80 tons
3. Seismosaurus: 100-180 feet, 25-150 tons
4. Supersaurus: 80-150 feet, 30-100 tons
5. Amphicoelias: 125-205 feet,98 (this was Mike's estimate, probably the one I trust the most)-170
tons
6...... Aw forget it!

That probably gives you the idea of what I mean. How is it possible for anyone to cite estimates like these with such terrible evidence. Could someone help me out here? Otherwise, I'll leave my book on hold until more evidence is discovered, or I'll use my own calculations (which are just as unreliable, as I used better known genera like Diplodocus and Brachiosaurus for comparisons, and the estimates vary just as crazily for them, too).

Cheers,
Rahul

Connect with your friends who use Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Click! http://www.msnspecials.in/wlmyahoo/index.asp