Re: four winged Archaeopteryx

David Marjanovic wrote:

> but these impressions could represent internal soft tissue.

Ah. Well, this should be investigated...

Yes. But Ostrom notes, "A striated or linear pattern does occur proximally at the lower edge of the ischium, and also between the right radius and ulna. ... Nopcsa's 'fibers' may well represent impressions of soft tissues."

The fact that these striations/fibers occur *between* the radius and ulna leads me to think that they are internal, and not of integumentary origin.

> _Juravenator_ certainly doesn't preserve any feather-like structures.

No, but only a small patch on the tail preserves any part of the skin.

True, but as Gohlich and Chiappe point out, this is part of the animal (mid-tail) that is feathered in many other coelurosaurs, including _Sinosauropteryx_.

Yes, but I'm too lazy to dig it up right now... I probably cited it onlist years ago. It was in Neues Jahrbuch.

Could be this one...

Frey, E. and Martill, D. M. (1998). Soft tissue preservation in a specimen of _Pterodactylus kochi_ (Wagner) from the Upper Jurassic of Germany. Neues Jahrbuch fur Geologie und Paläontologie, Abhandlungen 210: 421-441.

Apparently there are hair-like structures on the back of the neck.

Cheers

Tim