Re: Vote on the Definition of "Aves"

On 10/1/06, Roberto Takata <rmtakata@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand the question. "Loricata" has been used for
> several groups (including crocodylians) but is now generally used for
> armadillos, I think. Eliminate them from what?

Crocodylia+Testudines clade (some genetic study place Testudines as an
archosaur taxon - syster to Crocodylia).

The avian total group would remain the same under that hypothesis. The crocodylian total group would shrink somewhat, depending on where testudines branched off. The testudine total group--well, it seems we already don't really know what went in there besides the crown group and some close relatives like _Proganochelys_, so who knows how that would change?

When they say extant, what if the group goes extinct?

Excellent question. The topic is being discussed here: http://www.phylonames.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14 -- T. Michael Keesey The Dinosauricon: http://dino.lm.com Parry & Carney: http://parryandcarney.com