Knees and elbows

I know this isn't entirely related to dinosaurs
specifically, but I wouldn't know who else to ask.
Simply put, in all terrestrial vertebrates that I can
think of the elbow joint of the forelimb points
posteriorly and the knee joint points anteriorly. Does
this configuration offer any advantages in locomotion
that another configuration like having the elbow point
anteriorly or the knee reversed wouldn't have? Or is
this simply an arbitrary limb configuration that
developed in the first amphibians that's been
inherited in all their descendants? This is just a
curiosity to me, inspired by various limb formations
seen in fictional creatures portrayed in media
contrasted with the uniform design that is in both
frogs and sauropods, cats and horses.