RE: paleoartists in general

Me thinks some are not reading my posting carefully, but projecting what
was not said.

I stated that the ANIMALS are the ones lacking detail, nothing else. I
have know Doug since he illustrated Horner's kids book "Maia" (how many
of you have a copy?), have been to his studio, ad nausea. I know that
Doug was strongly influenced by his time in the coastal redwoods of
northern California, but the Mesozoic world was more diverse than that.
Also, ground cover IS extensive today and there is evidence of that for
the past as well: e.g., over 400 types of fern pollen from the Morrison
alone. Why then, show barren ground (and this goes beyond just
Henderson's art)? Since I am on the topic of artist reconstructions, the
bottle-brush araucaria is unique among the Araucariaceae today; most
araucaria look like pines (do a Google image search). If you want
accuracy in your paintings, eliminate the bottle-brush trees (Araucaria
araucana; monkey-puzzle tree) because there is no fossil evidence that
such a morphotype existed in the Jurassic.
Aside from that, keep up the good work.

Bye again.
Kenneth Carpenter, Ph.D.
Chief Preparator