Re: four winged Archaeopteryx

Right up there with federal income tax. It is a Fraudulent Law actually. The originator of ORP was named Ernst Haeckel who developed it back in 1866 when peer review was a bit lax. In time he became a well known fraud for his drawings (modified to suit his point) showing a group of embryo's in various "stages of development". Even though this "Law" is in disrepute as you point out, it is still taught in many public schools as fact. I forgot to insert an emotocon. :-) This theories "development" was enabled in order to support biologic determinism (a whole other topic whos basis in thought went back to Plato).

More specifically (excuse the pun) today a similar and somewhat more believable concept is often stated that PRO "Phyogeny recapitulates Ontogeny". The latter statement of course means that the embryonic stages of an organism or species should resemble the embryonic (and not adult) stages of its ancestors. In other words, the embryonic development of any species is constrained to resemble (closely) the embryonic development of its ancestors. Thusly by examining the ontogeny of an individual species, we can infer certain aspects of their evolutionary history. Nothing cold and hard there except the lack of good embryonic fossil record in the rock. Unfortunately for the argument, there are examples that refute the notion that phylogeny is reviewed during ontogeny. You got my drift (genetic?)and tongue in cheek point that no doubt early Mesozoic avian theropod ancestors were featherless even though no modern bird is.

Frank (Rooster) Bliss
MS Biostratigraphy
Weston, Wyoming