Re: four winged Archaeopteryx

franklin e. bliss writes:
 > More specifically (excuse the pun) today a similar and somewhat
 > more believable concept is often stated that PRO "Phyogeny
 > recapitulates Ontogeny".

Eh, I don't see how that helps matters _at all_.  Phylogeny can't
recapitute ontogeny as phylogeny (as a process) is in the past and
ontogeny is in the present.  If this restatement of Haeckel's "law"
means anything at all, it's that you can change the usual direction
causality :-)

I think it's much more helpful just to insert "sometimes" to indicate
that the "law" is actually a description.  Ontogeny sometimes
recapitutes phylogeny.

)_v__/\  "The President has kept all of the promises he intended to keep"
         -- Clinton aide George Stephanopolous.