Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 17:08:51 +0000
From: Thomas Donegan <thomasdonegan@YAHOO.CO.UK>
To: NEOORN-L@LISTSERV.LSU.EDU
Subject: [NEOORN-L] Nova esp[iso-2022-jp] ñ«e de ave descoberta nos Andes
    Col ombianos

Re the article posted by Masi below and before someone else makes these points
in criticism:

We explained in detail to the journalists:
1. This bird was described as a subspecies, not a species (though arguably it
may be a species under some concepts).
2. There were dead type specimens, including one we took which died being
roosted overnight. The live type was one of a few paratypes.
3. The "first" use of a live type was the first for a bird since the ICZN's
recent approval of such techniques, not the first ever (there was a monkey
before it).

The following release contains a comprehensive summary of the discovery:
http://www.proaves.org/article.php?id_article=232
http://www.proaves.org/article.php?id_article=231

Cheers, Thomas.