RE: Earth's wobble killed off mammal species

No those figures are of the right order. Mammalian species longevity was on the order of 0.3-1.2 million years during the Pleistocene and 3 - 6 million years in the Neogene (there is a great deal of varition between orders). Bird species were more long-lived in the Pleistocene, about 6 million years, but in this case there seems to be little difference between the Paleogene/Neogene and the Pleistocene.

Tommy Tyrberg