Re: Horner and Goodwin on Triceratops

On 10/15/06, David Marjanovic <david.marjanovic@gmx.at> wrote:
> A family based on the dinosaur _Ceratops_ should be called "Ceratopidae".

Yes, it should be, but it isn't. The ICZN now forbids the correction of
"incorrect latinizations" and the like as "unjustified emendation", so we
are stuck with what some call a "barbarism".

Or at least it seems to be that way. The wording is not 100 % clear to me.
Or, to be honest, I haven't looked it up in the last few months.
http://www.iczn.org

Unless I'm misunderstanding article 29.4[1], incorrect Latinizations should only be left alone if they were made after 1999. Marsh erected the family in 1890.

[1] http://www.iczn.org/iczn/index.jsp?article=29&nfv=true

-- Andreas Johansson