Student Forum, Reprint Exchange, and Raffle at SVP

Dear students of SVP:

As the meeting approaches, I just wanted to take a quick moment to remind
you about the student forum, reprint exchange, and raffle. These events will
be held on Thursday, Oct. 19, from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m., in the Pinnacle
Room, Penthouse Level of the Crowne Plaza Hotel.

The forum will be held in a roundtable format, and it is quite informal.
You'll have the chance to visit one-on-one with established paleontologists
on a variety of topics, ranging from grad school to fieldwork to grants. All
of our participants have excellent credentials in their topics, and we are
fortunate to have the chairs of a number of SVP committees in attendance
(poster prize, Romer prize, SVP, and others).

The current list of topics (largely finalized, but some small changes may
occur):

*Finding Non-Academic Jobs in Paleontology - ReBecca Hunt, Augustana College
*Finding Academic Jobs in Paleontology - Pat O'Connor, Ohio University
*NSF Grants and Fellowships - John Damuth, National Science Foundation
*Graduate School - Blaine Schubert, East Tennessee State University
*Organizing a Field Project - Karen Samonds, Redpath Museum, and Doug Boyer,
Stony Brook University
*Creating an SVP talk - Ryosuke Motani, University of California, Davis
*Applying for Collection Permits - Dale Hanson, Bureau of Land Management
*Research opportunities in Wyoming - Scott Hartman, Wyoming Dinosaur Center
*Preparing a Successful Poster Presentation - David Eberth, Royal Tyrrell
Museum of Natural History
*Preparing an SVP abstract - Jason Head, University of Toronto at
Mississauga
*Fieldwork Opportunities in Paleontology - Richard Stucky, Denver Museum of
Nature and Science
*Publishing in JVP - Robert Reisz, University of Toronto at Mississauga
*Fieldwork Opportunities in Utah - Mike Getty and Mark Loewen, University of
Utah
*Preparing a Curriculum Vitae - Chris Brochu, University of Iowa
*Applying for Grants - Johannes Mueller, Humboldt Museum
*Using the Paleobiology Database - Matt Carrano, Smithsonian Institution

Additionally, once again we will have the reprint exchange during the forum.
A number of members of the society have kindly donated reprints of their
recent papers on a variety of topics, covering a broad spectrum of taxa and
disciplines within paleontology. This will be a great chance to build up
your libraries! If you have reprints of your own to donate, you are also
welcome to bring a few.

Finally. . .the winner of the raffle for the student membership will be
announced toward the end of the forum. As noted previously, tickets are $1
US, and all proceeds go to the student travel fund.

See you all in Ottawa!

Andy Farke, Chair
Student Liaison Committee
Andrew A. Farke, Graduate Student