Re: Horner and Goodwin on Triceratops

  The key to the overall use of a spelling or a particular use of a name over
another for what is essentially the same thing, at least in the ICZN's
consideration, is what is published, not what is on Google. The
*Brontosaurus*/*Apatosaurus* issue was nipped in the bud very early on with
regards to paleontology and publication professionally, but it would only be in
the popular press that the former name was kept alive. Little (very little)
professional use of "Ceratopidae" has occured, such that _Ceratopsidae_ is in
virtually no danger of replacement, and this may be for the better. Disruption
for correctness sake may make sense in the long run, but consider that in even
100 years, if we start using _Ceratopidae_ instead, there will still be more
time and more history of -opsidae than of -opidae. Correctness has its uses,
and I am all for it, but I think this would do more harm than good.

  Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
http://bitestuff.blogspot.com/