To: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 11:48 AM
Subject: Re: SVP statement on Dr. Rensberger-Burke Museum

Michael Schmidt wrote:

The lack of interest, Bob, I believe is simply embarassment on belalf of the academic community.

Maybe, maybe not. It may have something to do with this...

"...but the SVP Ethics Education Committee concluded that the fossil collections resulting from Dr.
Rensberger's fieldwork are properly deposited in a public institution (the Burke Museum) and have
been well curated by Dr. Rensberger and the current curatorial staff of the Burke Museum."

Which, to me, says that these discoveries were not for personal monetary gain, and the specimens in question were/are available to science. These discoveries remain "properly deposited in a public institution", rather than gathering dust in a private collection or ending up on eBay. That counts for a lot in my book. I shudder to think how many invaluable fossil discoveries never get to see the light of day because the collector(s) sell their collections privately for a fast buck, or keep them stashed under the porch.

Cheers

Tim

Try Search Survival Kits: Fix up your home and better handle your cash with Live Search! http://imagine-windowslive.com/search/kits/default.aspx?kit=improve&locale=en-US&source=hmtagline