Re: Luis Rey's Dino-turkey

There been a lot of less-than-flattering comments on this topic and the one that it sprung from. I'd like to balance this just a little. This new encyclopedia, while it has morphed into a broader and older audience originally began, as I understand it, as a work for the young. And it is with this audience particularly that Luis shines. I and my wife are both educators and without doubt Luis books are the most popular in what is a veritable sea of options. Books like "A Field Guide to Dinosaurs" and "Extreme Dinosaurs" bring a lot of children to the topic and satiate their need for quality material in spades. In my wife's preschool they are on to their third copy of "Extreme" and "The Guide" is on its last legs. His vibrant and dynamic illustrations excite and inspire the young and the young at heart. How many future dinosaur workers and lovers will owe their start and nurturing to Luis Rey and the rare breed to which he belongs? That said as an adult I love Luis's work and the Spanish-Mexican heritage of color he brings to his carefully researched subjects. I look forward to owning and reading this book and I will sit it happily on my shelves with other popular quality volumes as well as weighty academic tomes. Paint on Luis - you will always have a wide and appreciative audience.

At 06:14 AM 21/10/2006, you wrote:

> What I said was that the fleshing out design for this picture,
> http://www.luisrey.ndtilda.co.uk/jpegs/new/Chick.jpg , was too clearly
> done after turkeys and other pheasants (including chickens). It's
> rather hideous in itself but throw in the orange background...
> *shudders* Not that it isn't well done but the choice was rather poor
> IMHO.
>
> After thinking a bit more about it, I understand that this was done to
> ingrain into the projected target for the book that birds are
> dinosaurs by frocking well and less known theropods in birdy attires.
> I, however, would go for the "bird of prey" set on a dromaeosaur.

Just so everyone knows, neither I nor the editorial staff have suggested
particular color patterns or so forth to Luis: these are all his own
choice.

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
        Mailing Address:
                Building 237, Room 1117
                College Park, MD  20742

http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/eltsite

Steve Walsh
Email: steve.w@c-point.com
Phone: 8 264 5526 | Mobile: 0422088197
Outgoing mail is scanned by Norton AntiVirus 2005