Re: Sheesh

On 10/24/06, Mike Taylor <mike@indexdata.com> wrote:
ROBERT NICHOLLS writes:
 > ...humm, well, I've just finished reading "The Ancestor's Tale" by
 > Richard Dawkins and in it he asked "why were there no
 > dinosaur-moles?"  I would be very interested to hear some views
 > from the DML on this...

... presumably meaning no fossorial dinosaurs.

More suprising still, to me, is the absence of secondarily aquatic
dinosaurs.  So far as we can tell, they didn't make it back to the sea
once in 150 million years, whereas we mammals have done it repeatedly
in the last 65 million.  Why would that be?

Just a reflection; the sirenians nonewithstanding, most secondarily aquatic amniotes I can think of have been carnivores. Carnivorous dinosaurs were pretty much all bipedal. Now, birds excepted, most secondarily aquatic amniotes were, I believe, quadrupeds before returning to water.

--
Andreas Johansson