Re: Dinosaur fossil spills its guts, out come worms

Has anything every actually been formally published
about Leonardo? All I can find is press releases and
conference abstracts!

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/10/24/dinosaurs.guts.reut/index.html

> Text follows

> Dinosaur fossil spills its guts, out come worms
> POSTED: 1:04 p.m. EDT, October 24, 2006
>
> WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- They may have ruled the land
> and the seas 75 million
> years ago but even dinosaurs fell prey to the lowest
> of the low -- gut
> worms, scientists reported Monday.
>
> An unusually well-preserved fossil of a duck-billed
> dinosaur dug up in
> Montana has revealed great detail of the animal's
> insides, including what
> appear to be tiny burrows that would have been made
> by worms, the team at
> the University of Colorado at Boulder found.
>
> They found more than 200 suspected parasite burrows
> that most likely were
> made by tiny worms similar to annelids and nematodes
> that infest animals
> today, said assistant geology professor Karen Chin.
>
> "Fossil evidence for interactions between dinosaurs
> and invertebrates
> usually involves insects," said Chin. "This research
> is exciting because it
> provides evidence for the movement of tiny,
> soft-bodied organisms inside the
> gut cavity of a dinosaur."
>
> Chin and graduate student Justin Tweet are
> presenting their findings to a
> meeting in Philadelphia of the Geological Society of
> America.
>
> "Typically a carcass attracts multiple scavengers,
> and this one was largely
> undisturbed," Tweet said in a statement.
>
> "Since the carcass was apparently buried before it
> had a chance to fall
> apart, we think remnant parasites may have been
> living inside of the animal
> when it died."
>
> Duck-billed dinosaurs were plant-eaters, reaching up
> to 50 feet long and
> weighing up to three tons.
>
> This fossil, nicknamed "Leonardo", also revealed
> chewed-up plants in its
> gut, useful for helping to identify what dinosaurs
> ate.
>
> Copyright 2006 Reuters. All rights reserved.This
> material may not be
> published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

> Allan Edels

Find out about the dinosaurs of the Isle of Wight at
   DinoWight- the Dinosaurs of the Isle of Wight
             http://www.dinowight.co.uk

         Or Join the DinoWight ONLINE group
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DinoWightONLINE/

All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease
of use." - PC Magazine
http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html