Re: Sheesh

These
birds flew like an arrow, steered like a cow, and had
a lukewarm wingbeat. An alula would have been entirely
wasted on them. Swifts are the closest modern
approximation in aerodynamic shape.

I, like Jim, am I bit confused by why you think a leading edge vortex generator would be useless on Confuciusornis. Also, I think the analogy with swifts is a bit strong there; given the much smaller size of swifts and their lower wing loading, I would not consider them a good aerodynamic model for Confuciusornis. By "steered like a cow" are you suggesting low maneuverability, low agility, or both?

Cheers,

--MH