Re: Sheesh

T. Michael Keesey writes:
> On 10/24/06, Mike Taylor <mike@indexdata.com> wrote:
>> I can see that this discussion is not likely to reach a consensus,
>> so I will put a sock in it before I put a foot in my mouth.
>> However, let just get in a final statement before I retire from
>> this fray (and I'm sure Mike will do the same :-)
>
> Well, I won't think too harshly of you if you change your
> mind.... :)

Just as well :-)

>> If somebody asks me one question, it is at best bad manners if I
>> answer a different one.
>
> Even if the answer is the same?

Oh, come on, that's a metaphysical question!  It's in the same
category as "If a tree falls and no-one is there to hear it, does it
make a sound?"

Mike T: What's 3+3?
Mike K: [Considering that 4+2 is a more interesting question] 6
Mike T: OK, thanks.

If the answer really is the same, then I have no way of knowing
whether you've rewritten my question.  But if I know you're in the
habit of rewriting my questions then I can't trust any of your
answers.

Mike T: What's 4+4?
Mike K: [Considering that 4+3 is a more interesting question] 7
Mike T: OK, great!  I have two four-panel walls to cover, and now I
        know that I need to buy seven panels.

>> Then I accuse you of Spockism -- an intelligent man behaving
>> stupidly either to make a point or because the script demands it.
>
> Live long and prosper.

Row, row, row your boat :-)

)_v__/\  "The pi of Euclid and the G of Newton, formerly thought to be
         constant and universal, are now perceived in their ineluctable
         historicity" -- Alan Sokal, _Transgressing the Boundaries:
         Toward a Transformative Hermeneutics of Quantum Gravity_.