To: "DML" <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2006 6:10 AM
Subject: Re: More Than Meteor Killed The Dinos

----- Original Message -----
From: <Deinonychus47@aol.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 4:32 AM

Based upon the stream of comet impacts on Jupiter, could not a pair of large
meteorites or comet fragments) have impacted the Yucatan at the end of the
Cretaceous Period

Sure. But not stretched over a period of 300,000 years.

and the evidence for what would have been the  first crater
been obliterated by the close-behind second object?

If the second was much bigger than the first, maybe... but what would that explain.

For that matter, what proof is there that the initiation of the Deccan Trap
lava flows was not caused by a meteorite/comet fragment impact?

1. Why should it have been? Effusive volcanism happens around midocean ridges (in this case the one between India and the Seychelles). Keyword Iceland.
2. The lava started flowing several hundred thousand years before the end of the Cretaceous. The biggest episode of eruptions was over 100,000 years before the boundary. So, without a time machine...