UCMP 143274

Digging through some older stuff on my HD, I wonder:
what is it with the UCMP 143274 symphysis, the
supposed "Cretaceous parrot"? There was a recent paper
(Waterhouse in Historical Biology some months ago)
which mentioned that it was perhaps better interpreted
as a caenagnathid.

This fits what is known from "Tertiary" parrot
fossils, namely that the beak specialization is
crown-group psittaciform.

I wonder: while it is only a short time since the
Hist.Biol. paper came out, its citation list ends in
2004. Thus, there might have been additional
information on caenagnathids and/or UCMP 143274 -
there simply is no other data even remotely suggesting
an advanced parrot mandible might be found in Lance
Creek Formation sediments.

Regards,

Eike

Der frühe Vogel fängt den Wurm. Hier gelangen Sie zum neuen Yahoo! Mail:
http://mail.yahoo.de